Pulled Pork on Avocado & Toast
- Game Day
To make the pulled pork, rub the roast all over with the chili powder, salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of oil in a heavy skillet and brown the pork on all sides; alternatively, brown it over high heat on the barbecue.
Meanwhile, put the onions into the bottom of a slow cooker; place the pork on top, pour over the barbecue sauce, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. (Alternatively, roast the pork in a covered pot in a 300˚F oven for 3 hours.)
Pull the pork apart with two forks; the meat should be very tender. Toss it in the bowl with the onions and cooking juices. If you prefer, add more barbecue sauce to taste. Halve the avocados and remove the pits. Add a pinch of salt to each, and holding each half in your hand, mash the flesh in the shell with a fork. Spread about ¼ avocado on each slice of toast, and top with the pulled pork.
- 1 3-4 lb. pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Canola or olive oil, for cooking (optional)
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ½-1 cup bottled barbecue sauce, plus extra if needed
- 4-5 ripe avocados (or one avocado per 3-4 people)
- 8-10 slices rustic bread, toasted