Mini Corncakes with Basil, Avocado Spread and Smoked Salmon
Corn is typically Chilean, as are avocados and salmon. This recipe puts all three together in an elegant appetizer that can headline any event.
- 1 cup Corn Kernels, fresh or thawed frozen
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Butter, melted
- 3 leaves Fresh Basil, finely chopped
- ½ cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 ripe Chilean Hass Avocados
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chives, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 6 to 8 ounces Smoked Salmon, sliced thin
- Chives and Cilantro leaves for garnish
Nutritional Information per serving - calories 80, fat 4.6g, monounsaturated fat 1g, protein 4g, carbohydrates 6.6g, cholesterol 20mg, sodium 426mg
In blender, purée the corn and milk until kernels are coarsely ground, about 30 seconds. Add egg, butter and basil and blend just a second or two, to beat the egg.
In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the corn/egg mixture until moistened. Add a little more milk, if necessary, until batter drops easily off a spoon.
Spray or lightly oil a non-stick skillet or griddle and heat over medium-high heat. Drop the batter by rounded teaspoonsful into hot skillet and cook until browned on bottom, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and brown on second side, another 3 to 4 minutes.
Note: You can cook the cakes in advance. Reheat in the microwave for about 30 seconds or in skillet.
Rinse, halve and seed the avocado. Scoop avocado into shallow bowl. Mash coarsely with fork. Add pepper, lime juice, cilantro, chives and salt and mix.
Spread each corn cake with a tablespoon of avocado spread. Top with smoked salmon, garnish with chives and cilantro and serve.