Farmer's Market Roasted Vegetable Salad in Avocado Bowls
A “Meatless Monday” dish, this vegetable salad is a great a way to substitute animal fats with plant-based fats, which can be found in foods like Chilean Hass Avocados. To make it a family meal, Ingrid Hoffman suggests getting kids involved by allowing them to mix the roasted vegetables together and spoon them into the Avocado halves.
By Ingrid Hoffmann
- 4 medium carrots, cut into ½-inch rounds and half-rounds
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium red pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ear fresh corn - husk and silk removed
- Handfuls of fresh parsley, dill, and chives - chopped
- 3 ripe Chilean Haas avocados
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon (2 to 3 tablespoons juice and 1 tablespoon zest)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Handful of mixed greens or arugula (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, mix the carrots, zucchini, squash, and red pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and mix well. Spread in one layer on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done, set aside to cool.
Remove the corn kernels by standing the cob on a plate or in a wide shallow bowl. Set the blade of a small, sharp knife at the juncture of the kernels and cob and slice downward to remove the kernels. Repeat this procedure, working your way around the cob, until all the kernels are removed. Set aside.
Prepare the avocados by carefully peeling the rough skin with a vegetable peeler. Cut lengthwise in half and remove pit. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to prevent avocados from discoloring. (As it can be tricky to peel the avocado, feel free to skip this step and simply serve the avocado in its shell.)
In a large bowl, mix roasted vegetables, corn, remaining lemon juice, salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and fresh herbs.
Place each avocado half on a small bed of lettuce or arugula, top with a generous serving of the salad, sprinkle lemon zest on top and serve.
MAKES 4-6 SERVINGS