Avocado Tuna Tarragon Melts
Turn a tuna sandwich into something very special with the addition of avocado and tarragon. You can grill the sandwiches in a skillet, a countertop grill or one of the new sandwich grills. Use your favorite bread: whole grain, sourdough, even rye. Another time, skip the bread and enjoy the tuna/avocado salad as is, on lettuce or in an avocado half.
- 2 Hass Avocados from Chile
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) tuna, drained and flaked
- ½ cup nonfat sour cream
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon white wine, tarragon or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves, crushed
- 4 slices Havarti, Muenster or part skim Mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices whole grain bread
Nutritional Information per serving - calories 469, fat 23 g, monounsaturated fat 8 g, saturated fat 8 g, protein 32 g, carbohydrates 36 g, cholesterol 45 mg, sodium 643 mg, fiber 6.5 g.
Rinse avocados. Cut in half. Spoon out pit. Peel avocados and cut into chunks. In medium bowl combine avocados, tuna, sour cream, celery, vinegar and tarragon.
Spread ¼ of the avocado mixture on half the bread slices. Top each with a slice of cheese and close with remaining bread slice. Grill in sandwich or countertop grill or in electric skillet sprayed with pan coating or in skillet sprayed with pan coating over medium high heat until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side for electric or stove top skillet.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS