Avocado Brown Rice Salad
Plenty of good things team up in this hearty salad – whole grain from the brown rice, monounsaturated fat and more from the nutrient dense avocado, and great crunch from the apple. Pack the salad for a tailgating event, pot luck or family gathering.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sherry or other vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion or green onion
- 2 Hass Avocados from Chile
- 1 crisp apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry or other vinegar or lime or lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
MAKES 6 SERVINGS
Nutritional Information calories 228, fat 8.5 g, monounsaturated fat 5.3 g, saturated fat 1 g, protein 6 g, carbohydrates 35 g, cholesterol 0 mg, sodium 213 mg, fiber 4 g.
In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, cook rice in broth until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar, pepper and onion. Chill. Rinse avocados. Cut in half. Spoon out pit. Peel avocado and cut into chunks. Toss avocado chunks and chopped apple with the 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or lime or lemon juice to coat. Stir into rice mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.